|Title:||Medical Assistant Scribe|
|Category:||Nursing / Allied Health / Clinical Support|
Peak Vista Community Health Centers is a non-profit healthcare organization whose mission is to provide exceptional healthcare to people facing access barriers. We provide primary care services (medical, dental and behavioral healthcare) through 26 outpatient health centers in El Paso, Teller, Lincoln, Adams, Arapahoe, Elbert, and Kit Carson counties. We deliver care with our strong “Hospitality” culture. Our organization has over 800 employees and serves 90,000 patients in the Pikes Peak & East Central Plains region. Peak Vista is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc. (AAAHC).
Location: Pediatric Health Center at 3207 N. Academy, Colorado Springs, CO.
Job Summary (Essential Functions)
Summary: Direct support for patient care performs of routine and acute clinical functions pertinent to efficient, ambulatory patient care. Responsible for performing preliminary patient care, including vital signs, interviewing and documentation of the chief complaint. Collects lab specimens documents and routes to the lab with appropriate forms completed. Sterilizes and cleans instruments/equipment per agency protocols. Familiar with routine lab tests and procedures, able to recognize abnormal results and take appropriate action. Performs accurate, timely charting of patient encounter, including but not limited to patient history, physical exam, diagnostic findings, laboratory and test results, treatment course, diagnosis, discharge instructions and prescriptions. Schedules appointments, and performs the necessary intake functions for arriving patients, assists in questions, directs telephone calls, and other patient service duties. Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Standard for this position (or team) met. Standard for this position is: To support productivity standards by supporting productivity goals to see patients per day based on clinical standards
- Checks email and phone communication daily and responds to communications (email/phone messages) within one business day
- Complete transcription activities necessary to assist with processing of provider orders for tests and medications
- Perform accurate, timely charting of patient encounters, including but not limited to patient history, physical exam, diagnostic findings, laboratory and test results, treatment course, diagnosis, discharge instructions and prescriptions
- Cross-trained to meet MA requirements at any PVCHC clinic, willing to float to another clinic as requested and able to fill in as receptionist, as needed
- Give injections, as needed
- Orients/trains new staff as directed
- Assists with coordination of the schedule (fitting in patients as providers/charge RN request) Acts as patient advocate
- Attends required unit meetings to discuss facility and department operations and is willing to implement changes discussed and as well as other forms of communicated changes (i.e. emails, staff meetings, etc.)
- Checks provider empanelment’s for proper language for patients
- Sterilizes and cleans instruments/equipment per agency protocols
- Checks phone messages within one business day of their provider regularly scheduled work day (Has back up for checking messages)
- Collects lab specimens documents and routes to the lab with appropriate forms completed, familiar with routine lab tests and procedures, able to recognize abnormal results and take appropriate action
- Completes all point-of-care testing when assigned and completes documentation
- Able to perform preliminary patient care, including vital signs, interviewing and documentation of the chief complaint
- Supports providers in the delivery of medical care, assisting with procedures as needed
- Bi-lingual staff will assist with interpretations as needed
- Ability to educate patient and family of clinical needs, corresponds via mail/phone with patients for particular needs as indicated by circumstances or as requested by providers/nurse managers
- Appropriate with cleaning and stocking in exam rooms
- Main medical assistants room 2/3 scheduled patients in assigned provider’s schedule and Float Medical Assistants room 1/3 scheduled patients in assigned providers’ schedule
- Completes ongoing competencies as required (i.e. age-specific/skills)
- Employee demonstrates knowledge of and adherence to the Compliance Plan and conflict of interest requirements. The employee enhances the effectiveness, efficiency and productivity of the department by contributing to, and participating in, departmental performance improve goals
- Other duties may be assigned.
Supervision Exercised: None
Graduate of a Medical Assistant program.
- Registered/Certified certification required.
- Certified EMT acceptable.
- Military applicants accepted with equivalent training and registered/certified certification.
- Externship completed.
At least 1-2 years of previous healthcare experience is highly preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business documents, business agreements, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret and implement a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have adequate computer knowledge, experience with word processing, internet and database software and keyboard skills.
Other Skills: Ability to flourish independently and in a team management system. Sensitivity to low income, ethnic and other minority communities. Excellent organizational, listening, de-escalation, tracking and documentation skills required. Excellent attendance required. Bilingual (Spanish) desired.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current Registered/Certified Medical Assistant certification required.
Long periods of standing, moving, and sitting, frequent bending and fine motor skills. Hearing within normal range for telephone use. Must be able to get from one clinic site to related locations. . Looking at computer screen continuously for long periods of time. Must be able to support/lift 50 pounds.
*Successful candidates will complete pre-employment screening; which includes, but is not limited to a Criminal Background check. Peak Vista Community Health Centers is a drug and alcohol free workplace an an Equal Opportunity Employer.